Mistaking Mold Sickness for Multiple Sclerosis

Why Patients Suffering From Mold Sickness are Mistaken for Multiple Sclerosis

Three out of four Americans who naturally produce antibodies to mold toxins can live and work in water-damaged buildings without suffering significant demise in their health. But patients who carry the HLA gene have no antibodies to deactivate and remove mold toxins. They develop excessive accumulation of these harmful toxins. Mold toxins are lipophilic, meaning their molecular structure consists of fatty acid molecules. For this reason, mold toxins migrate to and deposit in the brain because the brain is the ‘fattiest’ organ, consisting of 60% fat….Mold toxins destroy the myelin sheath on brain neurons, causing the classic white spots seen in MS. “(Dr. Rick Sponaugle of the Florida Detox & Wellness Institute)

MS is caused by the degeneration of the myelin sheath. The current theory: MS is a chronic inflammatory autoimmune disease of the central nervous system because the body attacks the myelin sheath. Symptoms of MS include the following:

  1. fatigue
  2. vision problems
  3. vertigo and dizziness
  4. tingling and numbness
  5. muscle weakness and spasms
  6. problems with balance and coordination
  7. speech and swallowing problems
  8. cognitive dysfunction
  9. sexual dysfunction
  10. difficulty with walking
  11. bladder and bowel dysfunction
  12. mood swings, depression

Similarly, individuals with a genetic susceptibility to mold illness that suffer from CIRS, have many of the same symptoms exhibited by those suffering from MS. 

  1. Problems with thinking, concentration, memory and judgment
  2. Difficulty speaking and slurred speech
  3. Eye problems
  4. Extreme and chronic fatigue
  5. Dizziness and loss of balance and coordination
  6. Feelings of tingling or numbness in legs and arms
  7. Muscle tremors
  8. Loss of arm, hand or leg strength

Long term exposure to Stachybotrys or Chaetomium, can destroy the myelin sheath that causes many of the same symptoms that MS victims have. 

There is no cure for MS and much of the treatment focuses on the use of medications. Considering the similarity in symptoms exhibited by MS patients and those suffering from toxic mold and the fact that mold can also destroy the myelin sheath, the key question that must be answered: 

What percentage of those diagnosed with MS are actually suffering from toxic mold exposure?

Considering the potential implications of this question and the long term health costs of treating MS to just control it, it makes logical sense for anyone diagnosed with MS to seriously investigate the indoor air quality of their home and work place

If mold is found, then find out if you have a genetic susceptibility to mold illness and seek proper treatment to detox your body and properly remediate your home to restore the fungal ecology to healthy levels.